We congratulate you on the purchase of your MEPHISTO BERLIN chess computer.
MEPHISTO BERLIN is a top program of many times worldchampion Richard Lang. The program is written on a 68000 Motorola microprocessor, a powerful unit that provides the excellent chess program with an optimal strength.
The laptop design of the MEPHISTO BERLIN makes it easy to take it wherever you want to. Flat pieces are included, which turns your MEPHISTO BERLIN into an ideal travel computer. Concerning the normal chess pieces, you have the choice between three colors: modern silver, stylish grey and black.
The BERLIN program has 128 KByte ROM and 512 KByte RAM (the so called “hashtables”). Its knowledge about pawn structures and its “singular extensions” algorithm gives MEPHISTO BERLIN a very high playing strength, tactical, positional, as well as in the endgame. This, combined with a large and varied opening library consisting of 100,000 half moves (11,000 variations), makes MEPHISTO BERLIN the ideal chess partner.
But MEPHISTO BERLIN has even more to offer. It is your chess trainer as well and warns you for mistakes. You have an unlimited number of playing levels to choose from. It is also possible to change the style of the opening library (choose from NORMAL, CLASSIC, MODERN and BLITZ). At the same time you can store 50 games in MEPHISTO’s permanent memory.
We are proud to offer you the elegant combination of modern styling and high playing strength. We are sure that your “diabolically” clever chess partner will give you many hours of chess pleasure.
Your MEPHISTO team
Hegener + Glaser AG, Munich
MEPHISTO BERLIN 68000 MAIN GAME CHARACTERISTICS:
- 68000 Microprocessor.
- 12 MHz Clock Speed.
- 128 Kbyte Program Memory (ROM).
- 512 Kbyte Working Memory (RAM).
- PERMANENT MEMORY: Stores about 50 games (even when the unit is switched off).
- DISPLAY: 32-character dot matrix display (5x8 dots per character).
- OPERATION: Menu-driven dialogue system with 4 cursor keys, 2 control keys (ENT and CL) and 2 NEW GAME keys.
- Lambda strategy (a mixture of Shannon A and B) with extensive chess knowledge and so-called pattern recognition of pawn structures.
- Opening library with about 11,000 variations (about 100,000 half-moves). Automatic recognition of transpositions and reversal of colors.
- Extensive use of endgame strategies.
- PLAYING LEVELS:
- 10 normal levels (average time per move).
- 10 tournament levels (different time controls).
- 16 problem levels (mate in 1 to 16).
- 30 analysis levels (variable search depth).
- 1 correspondence chess level (“infinite”).
- 10 “easy” levels for beginners (makes occasional mistakes)
- 10 handicap levels (matches opponent’s thinking time).
- 10 quick play levels (with countdown mode).
- User-programmable level (allows user to program any desired setting of time limits and number of moves for both sides and both 1st and 2nd time controls).
- CHESS CLOCK: Four-time or countdown clock.
- POWER; Mains (HGN 5004A).
Excerpts taken out of the “Hegener + Glaser Mephisto Berlin” User Manual