Your RADIO SHACK CHAMPION 2250 XL chess computer is one of the most versatile chess computers available. With its advanced features, this chess computer is ideal for everyone from the beginner or casual player to the professional and tournament chess expert. You can set the computer so it plays as tamely as an absolute beginner or with the cunning of a master player.
You can let the computer act as a referee while you play against another person, turn the computer's sound on or off, and display and hear a ticking game clock during play. The computer also displays information that can help you improve your chess skills.
MAIN RADIO SHACK CHAMPION 2250 XL GAME CHARACTERISTICS:
- SPECIAL SENSORY PLAYING SURFACES - the computer senses a move when you press a piece against a square.
- LIQUID CRYSTAL DISPLAY - shows current move, piece position and verification, level, position set up, search depth, principal variation, position search, rotating display, and elapsed game time information.
- ROTATING DISPLAY OPTION - lets you set the computer to display move strategy, search depth, search time, evaluation rating, and move possibilities per second while the computer is thinking.
- FIVE BUILT-IN TEACHING OPTIONS - lets you quickly select and play only specific pieces, to help you learn the piece's moves and strategic uses.
- EIGHT BUILT-IN STUDY POSITIONS - lets you improve your chess knowledge with the computer's help.
- BUILT-IN CHESS CLOCKS - lets you set the computer to display the elapsed time since the computer or an opponent last moved and the remaining time before the computer or an opponent must make a move. The computer can also display countdown game timers.
- RANK AND FILE BOARD LIGHTS - lets you easily see where a piece came from and where it should go during a move.
- SIXTY-FOUR PLAY LEVELS - so you can choose from 64 game types/levels of difficulty including tournament, speed, problem, regular play, training, and fun levels.
- SAVE - lets you turn off the computer without interrupting the game in progress so you can continue playing later.
- SELECTABLE SEARCH ALGORITHMS - lets you set the computer to search only for a move most likely to be successful, to speed up the computer's response. Or, you can select the computer's brute force option to search all move possibilities thoroughly.
- TAKE BACK - lets you take back up to 34 consecutive moves and replay them.
- RULE ENFORCEMENT - prevents illegal moves.
- AUTO PLAY - lets you learn by watching the computer play against itself.
- MOVE - lets you force the computer to make a move and change sides with the computer.
- MOVE SUGGESTION - lets you use the computer to suggest moves, to teach you the best response to an opponent's move.
- PROBLEM SET UP - lets you set up special chess problems, so you can practice solving problems published in newspapers, chess literature, or history books.
- POSITION VERIFICATION - lets you check the current position of the pieces if they are accidentally moved or misplaced.
- OPENING BOOK MEMORY - contains most major opening strategies so the computer can respond more rapidly during a game's opening moves, to speed up play. You can set the computer to use none, some, or all of these moves during play, or select tournament opening books for the most challenging play.
- EVALUATION - shows the computer's assessment of which player has the advantage and how much of an advantage that player has.
- TWO POWER OPTIONS - lets you power the computer from batteries or from AC power with an optional AC adapter.
- POWER OFF OPTION - lets you save battery power by setting the computer to turn itself off if you do not press a key or board square for about 15 minutes. The computer saves the game in progress.
Excerpts taken from “RadioShack Champion 2250XL” User Manual and box.