EXCALIBUR LCD CHESS & CHECKERS MODEL 375-2
Congratulations on your purchase of Excalibur Electronics’ innovative LCD Chess & Checkers! You’ve purchased both your own personal chess trainer and a partner who’s always ready for a game -- and who can improve as you do!
Excalibur’s LCD Chess & Checkers is designed so that it can be held comfortably and used with one hand.
Your Excalibur LCD Chess & Checkers is packed with features! Each key has two labels. To activate the feature named below the key, just press the key. To enjoy the feature given above the key, first press 2nd/NEXT and then the key.
MAIN EXCALIBUR LCD CHESS & CHECKERS GAME CHARACTERISTICS:
- Tournament Strength
- Threat Warning Indicator.
- Selectable Opening Lines of Play and Learning.
- Replays Historical Great Chess Games with Special Scoring.
- 32 Mate Problems for you to Solve.
- TEACH Mode for Beginner Players.
- Mate Trainer for Advanced Players.
- Autoplay to Watch Computer Play Both Sides.
- INFO Mode to See What Computer is “Thinking”.
BOOK OPENING TRAINER
LCD Chess makes it easy for you to learn the same openings that world chess champions play! At the beginning of a game, you may choose to learn one of 34 popular book openings—ways to begin the game—used by chess masters. Press MODE, then OPTIONS, to display OPEN, and then press the right or left DIRECTION to select the number of the opening you want to learn. (See below.) Then press the CLEAR key to return to normal play.
Now play a move. If your move is not the correct opening move, an error buzz will sound. To learn the correct move press HINT. When the computer comes back with its move, you will briefly see the word OPEN on the screen if you have another opening move to make. If the word OPEN does not appear, you may continue normal play. You have completed the training for that opening line. The names of the openings are:
1. Ruy Lopez, Exchange Variation
2. Ruy Lopez, Closed Defense
3. Ruy Lopez, Open Defense
4. Ruy Lopez Archangel Defense
5. Giuoco Piano
6. Scotch Game
7. Four Knights
8. Petroff Defense
9. Vienna Game
10. Sicilian, Classical Defense
11. Sicilian, Accelerated Dragon
12. Sicilian, Rossolimo Attack
13. Sicilian, Dragon Variation
14. Sicilian, Scheveningen Variation
15. Sicilian, Najdorf Variation
16. Sicilian, Moscow Variation
17. Caro-Kann Defense
18. Panov-Botvinnik Attack
19. French Defense, Winawer Variation
20. French Defense, Classical Defense
21. French Defense, McCutcheon Variation
22. French Defense, Tarrasch Variation
23. Queen’s Gambit Accepted
24. Queen’s Gambit Declined
25. Queen’s Gambit, Semi-Slav Defense
26. Queen’s Gambit, Tarrasch Defense
27. Queen’s Gambit, Slav Defense
28. Nimzo-Indian Defense, Rubinstein Var.
29. Nimzo-Indian Defense, Classical Var.
30. Queen’s Indian Defense
31. Queen’s Indian Defense,Petrosian Var.
32. Bogo-Indian Defense
33. Gruenfeld Defense
34. King’s Indian Defense
Excerpts taken from the Excalibur LCD Chess & Checkers” User Manual.