Morphy Encore is the first in a series of Encore computers dedicated to a single strategy game. Applied Concepts, Inc., has taken the best features from its world famous chess programs and repeated them in this Encore unit.
Thus, for those only interested in chess, you have the best electronic game available, at only a fraction of the price of the more elaborate multi-game computers.
Excerpt taken from the Morphy Encore User Manual printed 1981
Strongest Chess Game Available in a Single Purpose Computer. In fact, you can’t buy a better electronic chess game for the money!
- Strongest Chess Game Available in a Single Purpose Computer.
- Seven Levels of Play -- MORPHY ENCORE can play a casual game of chess with the novice or excite the most sophisticated experts.
- Varied Play -- MORPHY ENCORE has literally thousands of chess moves programmed in to allow for a variety of strategies and moves.
- Completely Portable -- Optional rechargeable battery pack provides up to 6 hours of continuous play on a full charge.
- Audio ON/OFF -- MORPHY ENCORE uses a variety of different tones to indicate various mode functions. Should you desire these tones can be silenced with the Audio ON/OFF feature.
- MORPHY ENCORE Thinks on Opponent’s Time -- To maximize his own playing strength MORPHY ENCORE begins analyzing his next best move while awaiting yours.
- Game Related Messages -- MORPHY ENCORE flashes you messages that relate to the game in progress, such as your impending defeat may be preceded by the message “Mate In Three”.
- Restore Function -- This flexible control function is designed for players of all strength levels. Not only a must for correcting blunders, the Restore control provides flexibility to evaluate varying response strategies from any board position. Use of this control will erase up to three previous moves for both sides starting at the last move and sequencing, upon command back to the third previous move.
- Best Move Option -- MORPHY ENCORE will play his one best move or will play with variety.
- Tournament Timer -- Total elapsed time used by each player plus the time either player is taking for individual moves is displayed on command. This timer, combined with the move counter, insures that each player is within tournament rules.
- Exclusive Rank Display and Position Verification -- A function key allows you to access and display each rank to verify location of chessmen.
- Position Programming -- Programming keys permit player to set up any board position or modify an existing board position. Designed for practicing end game strategies.
- Problem Solving -- By using the position programmer, any chess problem may be set up quickly and easily for analysis, or problem solving. Mate in Two and Mate in Three problems are solved with ease.
- Move Monitor -- MORPHY ENCORE accounts for each move made in a game and continually displays the moves as they are made.
- Opening Book Library -- MORPHY ENCORE is programmed with a wide variety of offensive and defensive responses to popular book openings, plus several unusual book opening moves.
- Position Storage Memory -- A game may be interrupted in either AC or battery operation and this storage memory function will hold all pieces in proper board position for game resumption at a later time. Storage Times, AC mode indefinite. Battery mode 24 hours.
- Halt/Hint Control -- Dual function key permits the player to halt MORPHY ENCORE’s computing analysis at any time, displaying his best move at that point in his search. Allows the player complete control over thinking time. Hint mode used when it is players move. Addressing this key, MORPHY ENCORE will instantly display player’s best move at that time.
- Changing Sides -- Player may select to play black or white or even change sides at any given time the game is in progress.
- Instructional Mode Feature -- Combining Hint, Backspace, Handicapping Function, plus other exclusive function control, MORPHY ENCORE becomes the perfect chess teacher. He will suggest moves for the novice as well as for the experienced player to experiment with various responses.
- Plays USCF Rules -- MORPHY ENCORE knows and recognizes all classical moves, including En Passant, Castling and Pawn Promotion.
- Best Chess Game for the Money on the Market Today!
Excerpts taken from Chafitz/Applied Concepts “Morphy Encore” Box (back).