Your RADIO SHACK PARTNER 1680X Chess Computer is a relentless and versatile chess opponent. Easy to set up and play, it can teach you proven strategies and tactics used by grandmasters.
MAIN RADIO SHACK PARTNER 1680X GAME CHARACTERISTICS:
- SPECIAL SENSORY PLAYING SURFACE -- lets the computer sense a move when you press a piece against a square.
- LCD DISPLAY -- shows current move, piece position and verification, level, position set up, coaching, and study position information.
- RANK AND FILE BOARD LIGHTS -- let you easily see where a piece came from and where it should go during a move.
- SIXTY-FOUR PLAY LEVELS -- let you choose from 64 game types and levels of difficulty.
- TAKE BACK -- lets you take back and replay moves.
- RULE ENFORCEMENT -- prevents illegal moves.
- SAVE -- lets you turn off the computer without interrupting the game in progress so you can continue playing later.
- MOVE -- lets you force the computer’s move, ask the computer to suggest your next move, change sides with the computer, or learn by watching the computer play against itself.
- PROBLEM SET UP -- lets you set up special chess problems.
- OPENING BOOK MEMORY -- contains most major opening strategies to let the computer respond more rapidly during a game’s opening moves.
- POSITION VERIFICATION -- shows you the current position of the pieces in case you accidentally knock over the pieces.
- COACH FUNCTION -- evaluates your opening strategy and warns you when your pieces are threatened.
- EVALUATION -- shows the computer’s evaluation of the current game.
- DISPLAY MOVE -- allows you to see the search depth and move that the computer is currently considering.
- NON-AUTOMATIC MODE -- allows you to play against another person with the computer as a referee, enter a series of moves, or replay a game to a certain position.
- EIGHT BUILT-IN STUDY POSITIONS -- let you improve your chess knowledge with the computer’s help.
- TWO POWER OPTIONS - let you power the computer from batteries or from household AC power with an optional adapter.
The main difference between Radio Schack Partner 1680X Model 60-2428 and Model 60-2428A are the way the playing levels are used. The later 1996 Model 60-2428A version is more user friendly in this respect. The play behavior is likely different between these two computers because of the way these play levels are differently designed.
Excerpts taken from “Radio Shack Partner 1680X” User Manual and box.