Your SILVER BULLET (Model 6087) represents Fidelity’s latest advancements in the Mini Sensory Series of portable chess computers. This computer is a sophisticated and challenging, yet patient and helpful chess computer specifically designed for both beginning and advanced chess players. Fidelity’s state-of-the-art technology provides you with an amazing computerized opponent that plays chess with skill and cunning, yet allows you to control the level of difficulty. The Sensory playing surface enables the computer to automatically sense all game moves. Battery operated and fully portable, containing a handy storage area in the base for your chess pieces, SILVER BULLET can be your chess opponent whenever you desire.
- Portable sensory chess computer.
- 8 levels of play -- beginner to advanced.
- Easy to operate.
- Includes fitted dust cover.
- Powered by 6 x AA alkaline type batteries or 9V adapter.
- Knows castling, en-passant and pawn promotion.
- Problem Mode -- the problem mode is used to make changes -- to remove or add pieces during a game; to relocate pieces from one square to another, or to set up special board positions.
- Solves mate-in-2 problems.
- Verify Key -- is used to verify positions of all the pieces on the play board (either at the beginning or in the middle of a game).
- Level Key -- The SILVER BULLET has eight different levels of playing difficulty. The average response times are as follows:
- Level 1 - 5 seconds.
- Level 2 - 10 seconds.
- Level 3 - 15 seconds.
- Level 4 - 30 seconds.
- Level 5 - 1 minute.
- Level 6 - 2 minutes.
- Level 7 - 3 minutes.
- Level 8 - Infinite (mate-in-two).
- Take Back Key -- The take back feature allows you to take back the computer’s last move and the move you made prior to the last move.
- Hint Key -- If you press the HINT key when it is your turn, SILVER BULLET will recommend a move for you to play.
- Move Key -- The MOVE key is used to change sides with SILVER BULLET. The MOVE key for this model is NOT designed to be used for computer versus computer play. Continuous use of this key to change sides after each move will eventually cause the computer to lock. To simulate computer versus computer play, you may use the HINT key to generate a suggested move, make the suggested move, and the computer will respond with a counter move. After each computer move, therefore, request a suggested move, make that move.
- Book Openings -- Are exactly what they are called - specific patterns of different types of move series made at the beginning of a chess game that can be found in countless of chess books (Queen’s Gambit, Sicilian Defense, etc.). The SILVER BULLET is programmed to initiate and respond to a variety of book openings and, in fact, the computer’s opening book contains over 100 half-moves. (Half move = one move made by white or black as opposed to a full move which is one move made by white and black’s countermove.
- Thinking on Opponent’s Time -- The SILVER BULLET has the ability to think on its opponent’s time, a function which improves playing strength on all levels and quickens computer responses. While the computer is making its move, you are able to use that time to analyze the position and think of a countermove to the move the computer might make. Similarly, the computer also thinks ahead while you are deciding which move to make. The computer does this automatically, whenever you are thinking about your move.
Some excerpts taken from the “Fidelity The Silver Bullet” User Manual and Box.